Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Making Home Life a Priority

I love my home. Not a little a lot. I love being a wife. mother, homemaker... I love the video (link below) that talks about making our home life a priority. I love Proverb 31 that gives advice on how to be a woman of noble character.

I think so often we are pulled in so many directions that our homes suffer. We give so much to those outside our home, and all that is left for those inside is leftovers. It should not be this way. The people IN our home are our calling; our gift. God chose US to be their wives, mothers, children, friends... don't give them what is let of you after you have given your all to the world around you. Make your HOME a priority and those in it.

I was not good at this when my kids were young. I was always the one planning and doing...often time for others. I learned a few years ago that though the days are long the years are short and I did not want to look back and see that I had a lot of "accomplishments" in the worlds eyes, but that my kids and husband had been put on the back burner for me to get worldly glory.

I decided then that my home and MY kids would be my priority. This means I often have to say no. I often have to hold myself back from all my "great ideas."

Let me tell you, when Thaddy was diagnosed I THANKED GOD that I had never accepted that full time position (though of course I wanted the money), that I had let go of many leadership roles that had allowed me years spent with him and his siblings giving my undivided attention to their needs, that I had let go of putting a perfect face on for the world around me at the expense of quality time with my kids, that I had never spent hours at work after hours taking away from time with my babies... It was all choice. I chose THEM, and when you are slapped with the reality that forever is not an option, and that actually you aren't even promised tomorrow...those days/hours/minutes/seconds all count. At the hospital the night he was diagnosed I couldn't help but think about all our memories...so many...and cry out to God with a thankful heart that I didn't miss it. I didn't miss his moments so that I could work more, work out more, clean more... I learned by the time he came along that he was it; my purpose.

It also means I have to find joy and purpose in serving my family; in the "mundane." I find joy and accomplishment in keeping an organized and clean home. I find purpose in tending to my husband and children's needs. I find a way to better myself while taking care of my home (podcasts people...they are awesome while cleaning!)

THIS is my calling. These people are my mission. I want to look back when they are grown and think I did all I could to make their childhood wonderful. I want to think of the years of family traditions and hopefully see them using them in their OWN families. I want to see them being loving husbands and wife to their spouses, caring parents, and good homemakers...that is the pay off of years of cheerfully making a house a home.

I do not want them to think back about how mom was always bitter she HAD to keep house...she HAD to take care of us... I want them to see it for what it is; my mission, my purpose, my calling. I want to have a happy heart while I serve my family. They are my priority and I want them to know that.


Make home life a priority video by Jennifer Scott (Madame Chic):
http://jenniferlscott.com/videos/?tubepress_page=3

Proverbs 31: The Wife of Noble Character

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment