Sunday, June 21, 2015

Day Three Books and Magazines: 31 Days to a Clutter Free Home

It worked out nice todays challenge was already basically done as it is Father's Day and I did not want to spend a lot of time on a home organization project. I am happy though I was able to continue building the habit of an organized home even though it is a special day with just a few minutes dedicated to double checking a system. I actually just went through our game/bookshelves two weeks ago so we could participate in our annual, local homeschool sale. As we are transitioning from one season of life to another (homeschooling to traditional schooling next year) many spaces need to be gone through and in some cases eliminated. We are still planning on using our Sonlight books for read alouds at bedtime this Fall so we wanted to hang on to them and this is where we keep them for easy access. We want to get in the habit of a weekly game night tradition, so I culled our game collection when I went through our homeschool books and threw away games with missing pieces, sold games we had outgrown, and now we are left with games that are ready to play! I have to admit this is my LEAST favorite space of our home as it looks so cluttered, but its functional so that is all that matters. We have a lovely closet downstairs that we used to keep this stuff in but I found with it hidden away we rarely used any of it. It is worth a little clutter to see the kids pull out the chess board or grab a book when the inspiration strikes!

I LOVE magazines (and I get a lot of subscriptions through Discount Magazines which is a great place to get CHEAP subscriptions) and as soon as they come in the mail I take them up to this little stool next to my bathtub. That way they are ready to read when I take my evening bath. I am happy to say I usually get through them all each month (then I THROW THEM AWAY; that is important) so I always have new reading material, and it is not a cluttered mess. It is a small thing that I look forward to at the end of the day (do not judge my selection. It's for fun, not educational purposes:) 
 
I am lucky because I can house many of the books we are not ready to part with in my classroom. I also tend to donate, give away, and get rid of books after I am done reading them so we do not have a huge collection of them collecting dust. I am NOT a fan of the Kindle...yet. I am trying. Until then it looks my book/magazine system is working, so I will stick with it. Today I just had to dust my bookshelves and I was ready to go! I DO have more homeschool curriculum to organize which incudes books but I plan on working on that during the "Kids Paperwork" day.
 
The link to Discount Magazines in case you want to check out their sales!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment